Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Rose by Any Other Name

Ah, to be 29 again! If I were, I would be complete of my raw food challenge. Fortunately, I have only seven more full days.
It occurred to me this evening that I should have been documenting the recipes I've tried and the "adventures" I've had. Unfortunately, it has been difficult to feel inspired to write about my challenge as I'm not sure how interesting it is. However, last night and tonight I dined on something "interesting" and worth writing about.

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Part I: Mashed Potatoes
Cauliflower
Cashews
Lemon Juice
Thyme
Salt
BLENDED TO SMOOTH

Part II: Gravy
Miso
Red Wine
Onion
Shallot
Orange Juice
Olive Oil
Maple Syrup
Jalapeno
Nama Shoyu
Ginger
Apple Cider Vinegar
Sesame Seed Oil
Blended to Brown Sauce

What was going through my brain when I decided THIS is what I wanted for dinner? I can't really say, but if you'd been RAW for 28 days you just might also have an incredible, insatiable desire for ANYTHING named Mashed Potatoes and Gravy.

The biggest problem with this recipe (yes, besides maple syrup, nama shoyu, and jalapeno together) is the name. I think I'll stop gagging on it if I can figure out a new name for it. In theory, the flavors are not bad (and it is INCREDIBLE to have SO MUCH FLAVOR IN A RAW DISH) but if your brain is thinking "Mashed Potatoes and Gravy" it will never, ever never reconcile to the light'ish green/white moosh with brown liquid on top that you have in a bowl before you.

So - if anyone outside of myself ever read my blog - I would issue a NAME THAT DISH challenge. Then I would write the hippie author of this cookbook and demand that it be changed. Because let me tell you... a rose by any other name - rather, in any other shape - does NOT smell as sweet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Cauliflower Nut Paste with Sweet and Salty Brown Goo"-hmmm.... perhaps this is why the author went with "Mashed Potatoes and Gravy". BLECH!

I am all for Raw Food, but this one -- not so much.

Lisa Romney said...

Sweet and Salty Brown Goo is a PERFECT description. Maybe not a perfect name, but William nailed it.

The Big Engine said...

Ya'll can have my part of that...

Micah said...

Caulimush?

Lisa Romney said...

How about, Cauliflower Shepards Pie (Because Shepards Pie never sounds appetizing anyway)