Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sadly, families like these are the reason Edwards and I cannot have children.

In the news today was the headline "Woman in Arkansas gives birth to 18th Child". One mother, one father, 17 other smiling children. A simple google search revealed this story from July, "Canadian woman gives birth to 18th child." Two families; one westernized world.



At this rate, it would take Edwards and I, and 17 other couples not having children, to counter-balance the decisions these two families alone have made. Now, add in everyone you know with more than 2 kids, then imagine the people you don't know and the developing world, and try to figure out how many committed non-breeders it would take to bring the world in balance. I only know three other couples like us...

This is nonsensical. We must rise above our most basic animal instincts and bring reason to bare on our decisions. Is it not our reasoning skills that sets homosapien apart? Is it not unreasonable to insist that our species overwhelm the carrying capacity of the earth?

All I can say is, at least I'm not leaving anyone behind to live in an world overpopulated by people. To parents of one or two children, you should be even more disturbed by these burgeoning families... don't your kids need resources?

8 comments:

Tara said...

Wish I knew how you felt about this. You should watch their show on TLC. It is a FREAK show. They have as many kids as Romney's Kindergarten class has students.

Lisa Romney said...

They have a REALITY show? Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand. But it's totally like Idiocracy. You guys would make some damn smart and beautiful kids. But it's the Duggars that get to a'breedin. Maybe you guys should just have one, so he/she can belay you.

Anonymous said...

I just don't get it... truly irresponsible and narcissistic. Is their DNA really that great that they need showcase it 19 times?

Lisa Romney said...

I watched a clip of the reality show... one clip... I believe it has little to do with superior DNA and more to do with god (which I believe they would capitalize as a proper noun).

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I hope their kids hate them, all 18 of them...

What a pair self-absorbed, indulgent nitwits. Why on earth would you even WANT 18 kids? Quality, not quantity, people! Jeez.

Anonymous said...

you now know another couple..Bruce and I have no desire to have kids, way too many already in this crappy world and as bruce says "they'll just grow up to hate you". I had a client tell me that I was crazy not to want children, she said to me "who's going to take care of you when you get old"...that's why this woman had kids - what a freak - poor kids.

voodoo child said...

I haven't checked out your posts on here lately (mostly just TSD) but I'm so glad I came across this posting. It's nearly impossible to have a reasonable conversation with anyone on this subject, you'll inevitably receive the "but life is so precious" speech. What's worse is that almost everyone of those 18 kids will themselves have huge families. In my opinion if you want alot of creatures to love who love you back and ask for nothing, go adopt a bunch of dogs!